Three Duets for Soprano
Agostino Steffani (1654-1728)
for two sopranos (d’-a’’, c’-a’’) & continuo
Comes with: three scores & part for continuo instrument
Ref. no Ste 7 (in 'cantatas') Price £ 15.95 sample page cover page To order: ☞
- 1. Cangia, cangia pensier mio cor
- 2. Che sarà, che sarà di quel pensiero
- 3. Parlo e rido
Steffani was much valued for his chamber duets and scherzo. Here are three which will delight sopranos looking for concert pieces. Although written for female voices, the ‘poet’ is a man, complaining about the contrariness of women.
- Cangia, cangia pensier mio cor, takes a slightly negative view of the lover’s chances of pain free success, due, of course, to the girl’s intransigence. Nevertheless the music is rhythmic and lively, the soprano 1 solo almost jaunty.
- Che sarà di quel pensier by contrast takes a rather wistful stance, hoping that the lover’s sighs will somehow travel on the breeze and reach the beloved, its long melismas suggestive of sighs.
- Parlo e rido starts in a different vein, the lover boasting of philandering and having a good time of it, with rhythmic jig-like music, but eventually having to face the fact that he has fallen seriously for one lady, and it is no longer a joke.